Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Night School

When it becomes difficult to face the day to day, I plan for tomorrow ... been doing a lot of that lately.

... and thinking, not much doing but a lot of thinking. Some resolving, perhaps.

Just got back from a late-night run and not quite ready for more schoolwork ... nor for the half-marathon I'm going to try for in just over a week. The candle-lit, open-book bath (more so as not to see the light brown colored water I lay in than for ambiance) I just arose from has me feeling kinda contemplative, so rather than curl up in front of the fire with more failing papers to grade, I'll blog a bit. I passed Kermit twice tonight, going and coming, which made the circuit close to a five mile loop along the creek. A soft shower was falling, almost looking like snow in the glow of the street-lights, raindrops trailing down my cheeks like warm, spring tears. Running works out my muscles and my mind, burning off calories and anxiety equally.

Leland was asleep for the most part, the streets quiet save for my heavy breathing and the rhythm of my sneakers on the pavement, only a few lights still on in the homes that I passed by. I jogged passed a group of ducks on the shore of the creek beside Leland High School, wide awake and quacking away in a loud chorus. Along one dark and open stretch of road cutting through an expanse of fallow fields, beyond the creek, the houses and the street-lights, I felt my pace and pulse quicken. Alone, between the distant lights of Greenville dotting the horizon and the pockets of stars blinking between clouds, my steps grew lighter and quicker ... apparently at my best when I'm certain that nobody is watching. Or just more afraid. I laughed at the 'Slow Children At Play' sign (never gets old ... Darwin would have ran them over), and was startled, again, by the unexpected presence of the three wise men, life size mannequins still lingering from Christmas, standing amongst the shadows at a particularly dark bend in the road.

Had a really good weekend past. After an easy Friday at school and orange juice with oatmeal cookies at the home of my mentor teacher, Mike and I sped up Route 7 to Oxford just in time to meet Grace and Lily for the Angela Davis lecture. From the Ford Center we made our way over to the Oxford Film Festival for 10 mph. After a midnight snack at Huddle House, I kept awake to talk the hours away in our hotel room before passing out not long before it was time to get up again for class. Saturday, after class, a few of us drove over to Lake Patsy where we ran around as the sun set, kicking the soccer ball or each other then collapsing by the water's edge. From Patsy to pizza, then another movie and more late night Days Inn conversations. Exhausted, Mike and I drove back refreshed, somewhat, after sleeping in on our first Sunday morning in Oxford. Not in any hurry to get back to the scattered paper piles and unfinished lesson plans, we pulled off the highway once into the Delta and got ourselves lost and got the truck covered in mud along a few unmarked dirt roads. Back in Indianola, Mike left me at school where I had left my car on Friday. Intending to get some work done in my classroom before catching our senior class play in the gymnasium that evening, I was easily convinced instead to hop into a pick-up game out on the field with some of the guys I coached in the fall. The sun was out, it was another beautiful day in what had been a gorgeous weekend and I was feeling fairly young and free. After trying my best to not show my age on the football field, goddamn that sounds strange, and making it to the gym for the second half of the play, I promptly went home and fell asleep ... and didnt get up until today ... Tuesday.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep – Robert Frost


13 comments:

TeacherMan said...

promses to keep, eh?

oakleyses said...

birkin bag, nike roshe, celine handbags, uggs on sale, p90x workout, uggs outlet, marc jacobs outlet, soccer shoes, new balance outlet, wedding dresses, asics shoes, ghd, nike trainers, ugg soldes, ugg, beats headphones, ferragamo shoes, vans outlet, chi flat iron, hollister, ugg outlet, canada goose, mont blanc pens, valentino shoes, ugg boots clearance, babyliss, uggs outlet, nike huarache, insanity workout, jimmy choo shoes, north face jackets, instyler ionic styler, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, nfl jerseys, bottega veneta, replica watches, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, ugg boots, lululemon outlet, mcm handbags, reebok shoes, north face jackets, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, herve leger, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys

oakleyses said...

hollister, louis vuitton, hollister, wedding dresses, barbour, canada goose, canada goose, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, links of london, converse outlet, ugg, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, ray ban, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, moncler uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, nike air max, supra shoes, swarovski crystal, moncler, montre pas cher, doudoune moncler, ugg uk, moncler outlet, barbour uk, converse, gucci, replica watches, moncler, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, pandora jewelry, swarovski, moncler, lancel, pandora charms, canada goose jackets, coach outlet, canada goose, moncler, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada

elmota7ta said...

شركة عزل أسطح بمكة

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجازان
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالباحة

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقصيم
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالطائف
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بينبع
شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
شركة نقل عفش بالقصيم

sbobet asia said...

You can definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart

agen judi slot online said...

I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further.

bola tangkas terpercaya said...

I’d should seek advice from you here. Which isn’t something It’s my job to do! I love to reading an article that will get people to think. Also, appreciate your permitting me to comment!

ceme online said...

you can always say that Dan Aykroyd is a very talented actor and a nice comedian.,

slotindo said...

You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content.

raja capsa said...

Audio began playing any time I opened up this webpage, so annoying!

Oily Skin Routine said...

But, what in regards to the conclusion?

SEO Solutions said...

Very nice publish, thanks so much for sharing. Do you have an RSS feed I can subscribe to? SEO Solutions

99SkinCare said...

Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Superb work!